PMP or Project Management Professional certification is one of the most recognized certifications all across the world offered by the Project Management Institute (PMI). PMP® certification is defined by PMI as the use of techniques, skills, and knowledge to effectively execute projects. Only candidates who meet the qualifying criteria have access to the majority of the useful content from this institute, as it is a closed-loop system certification.
While project management might help you stand out on a resume, the PMP® certification procedure can be perplexing for most people. In this article, we will guide you through a roadmap to crack the PMP certification process in the USA.
You must have sufficient experience working in the Project Management team to be able to receive the certification program. The main PMP certification eligibility requirement is given in-depth in the following section:
Candidates will need to have a secondary degree with no less than five years of experience in the project management department, including 75000 hours of project leadership and directions and35 hours of education in project management.
Candidates either need to have the above criteria or the following ones:
- 400 hours directing and leading projects and 35 hours of education in project management, including having a four-year degree with no less than three years of experience in the project management department. Candidates don’t need the title of Project Manager if they already have experience in project management. It implies that they must have handled project management responsibilities.
- Candidates must participate in all the five process groups in the lifecycle of project management, which are to initiate, plan, direct, monitor, and close.
- Candidates should have completed a minimum of 35 hours of education in project management, which does not have to be from the PMBOK® guide published by PMI. According to the PMI, one contact hour is one genuine hour of instruction or training received. PMI considers non-classroom training, such as online training. Attend courses, workshops, and training sessions offered by training institutes or organizations that offer relevant training courses to earn these 35 hours of contact.
Candidates must ensure that all of their training sessions are well documented with transcripts, tests, and certificates to back up their claims.
Form Filling for PMP Examination
After candidates meet the eligibility requirements, the following step is to complete the examination form. To do so, candidates first need to generate an account on the official website of PMI and then look under ‘my PMI’ for the online application form.
If candidates prefer to apply on paper, they can do so by downloading the paper application and emailing it to the PMI office in the USA through the registered email.
When using the application system online, candidates need to keep in mind that they have just 90 days to finish the process of filling out the form. The candidate’s data is stored on the PMI servers for 90 days before being totally erased. The following are the important parameters that must be entered in the form:
- Information about yourself (contact information, address, name, and so on)
- A University or College degree
- Number of completed contact hours
- All of the projects that qualify as project management experience also need to be listed here.
The section approaching the second fold of the form titled “Project Management Experience” will take the most time to fill. The project start and finish dates, specific working hours broken down by the 5 process areas of the description of work done, point of contact information (colleague, sponsor, manager), and project management life cycle using PMI terminologies are all required to be filled.
The work description is the most time-consuming element. Candidates must write out the work they did on each project, select the experience gained from project management, and rewrite it in terms of PMP. Within a week of submitting the application, candidates will get confirmation of approval. Candidates can even apply for the Project Management Professional certification Toronto for training.
PMP Fees and Membership
After submitting the application form, the PMI will send candidates an email with instructions on how to pay the exam fees. The examination fee is currently 555 USD (for a non-member) and 405 USD (for a member).
Audit Process for PMI
Once candidates have paid the exam fees for PMP, they will know right away whether or not their application requires an audit. If candidates are chosen for the PMI audit, then they must produce proof of all the information they provided in their application within three months. These include:
- A photocopy of a university or college degree
- Evidence of contact hours (contact hours certificate printed0
- Reference letter signed by the contact person specified in the application’s projects. Each contact person’s signed-original reference letter is placed in a separate envelope which is formally signed above the flap by the contact person.
- If the contact person is unavailable, the procedure can be completed by someone else who is familiar with the applicant’s function.
PMP® Certification Examination
The next step is to schedule the exam after candidates have completed the audit process and other formalities. Candidates must first log into the system of PMI certification and select either the Computer-based Test (CBT) or Paper-based Test (PBT) as their examination delivery method. The exam must take place within one year of the money being paid.
The PMP exam comprises 180 (previously 200) questions. The exam has a time limit of 230 minutes to complete with 10 minutes break. Candidates must correctly answer 137 questions to pass the exam in 230 minutes. They can schedule a retest if they do not pass the exam on their first attempt. Within a year, candidates will have up to three takes to write the PMP exam.
After passing the exam, candidates will begin a 3 year PDU cycle, after which their PMP® certification will expire. To keep the PMP® certification, candidates must acquire an extra 60 PDUs every three years. Candidates do not have to wait for the three-year cycle to get over to renew their PDUs. During the certification year, candidates can earn up to 60 PDUs.